By: Maddie Poteat
Hair Extensions are SO in.
Longer, fuller, healthier hair is something we are all after. Hair only grows so fast but when it just isn’t fast enough we turn to extensions. While you may know a lot about this fad, there is so much more to learn! As we prepare to launch our very own brand of extensions, we wanted to share 10 things you need to know about them!
1. There are so many different types of hair extensions! Microbead (I-Tip), Tape-In, Fusion (Glue-In), Flat-Tip, Clip-In, Hand Tied, etc. Each type is different and offers the wearer a different type of extension experience. We recommend you talk with your stylist to see what kind fits you best!
2. Unlike the synthetic hair of the past, you can treat today’s extensions just like you would your normal hair. When investing in extensions, you are purchasing real hair. This means it can be washed, dried, and styled just like your real hair!
3. While the term “extensions” refers to extending the length of your hair, extensions can actually be used to add thickness and fullness as well! If you’re looking for a little bit more volume or to thicken up your ponytail, extensions can help.
4. Unfortunately, not all hair can support extensions. Before purchasing anything make sure to consult a stylist about what you are aiming to achieve. He or she will look at and feel your hair to make sure it can support the extensions you want.
5. Contrary to popular belief, extensions should not damage your natural hair. If both the quality of the extensions and the skill of the stylist installing them are top notch, your natural hair shouldn’t be affected by the new hair.
6. Some types of hair extensions take longer to install than others. Hand-tied extensions take about two hours depending on the stylist installing them. (That time does not include coloring or styling the hair).
7. The products you use have an impact on your extensions. Just like your normal hair, you’ll want to be sure you’re using the right products on your extensions as well. Look for products that will help keep the ends from drying out and will keep your color from fading. We recommend Garbo’s Brilliance Blow Dry Flat Iron Sealer and Garbo’s Elixir 11! Both products are color-safe and can be used on both your natural hair and your new extensions.
8. They will appear natural! The only person who will know you have extensions in will be you! A talented stylist will color match your hair properly and install the extensions so they blend perfectly with your natural hair.
9. Extensions can add dimension. If you’ve always been hesitant about coloring your hair, extensions may be the perfect option. You can add color dimension to your hair without coloring your natural hair.
10. Extensions come in all sizes and colors. Don’t worry, most salons can customize your extensions so they match both your current hair color and the length you want.
Make Sure You Don't Miss Our Next Blog Post!
Make sure you don’t miss a single blog post by signing up for our reminder emails! Each time we post something new to the blog we’ll send you a quick email letting you know.